[sustran] Re: [sustran] FW: TfL Press release - Congestion Charge Scheme (CCS)

Alan Patrick Howes APHOWES at dm.gov.ae
Wed Mar 26 13:01:29 JST 2003

IANAE (I Am Not An Economist), so I will pass on the second para below - anyway, Todd has covered it very well. But it is worth noting that London's scheme has reduced traffic levels by 20% - it is not just a case of carry on driving but pay for it. And the revenue will be used to improve public transport, which could lead to further reductions in motor traffic in future, both within and outwith of the charged area.

On the political side, I have lived in a command economy (of sorts) for the last five years, and not only that but the history of the 20th Century convinces me that such systems are inherently, fatally, flawed. The market is imperfect too, but it's the best way we have of apportioning scarce goods. Why should transport be exempt from the same economic laws that govern the distribution of bread - or caviar? It's the distribution of wealth that is the problem, rather than the way that wealth is spent.

[Opinions are definitely my own!]

--
Alan P Howes, Special Transport Advisor,
     Dubai Municipality Public Transport Department
aphowes at dm.gov.ae
http://vgn.dm.gov.ae/DMEGOV/dm-mp-transportation
Tel:    +971 4 286 1616 ext 214