[sustran] FW: IEA BRT emissions analysis project outline - for review and comment

Barter, Paul paulbarter at nus.edu.sg
Tue Jul 15 10:24:22 JST 2003

Dear sustran-discussers

Lew Fulton and Lloyd Wright are developing a project outline for funding
from the GEF to study the potential CO2 impacts of Bus Rapid Transit
systems, using Bogota's TransMilenio system as a case study.  It would
be very helpful to them if some of us could review it. Below is a more
detailed description of their plan.

If you are interested in reviewing the project outline then please
contact Lew at Lew.FULTON at iea.org to request the document (an
approximately 500K zipped document).

Paul
---------------------------

Dear ____,

Lloyd Wright and I are developing the attached project outline to study
the potential CO2 impacts of Bus Rapid Transit systems, using Bogota's
TransMilenio system as a case study. The project concept has been
accepted
into the project development stage of the Global Environment Facility
(GEF).

We are now finalising the Brief for submission to the GEF.

As funding permits, we intend to collect data and conduct analysis on
TransMilenio's impacts on overall travel, mode choice, the energy
efficiency of the transport system, and its net emissions of CO2 and air
pollutants. The goal is to develop an "emissions calculator" that other
cities
can use in designing BRT systems, and that the GEF and other agencies
can use
in estimating the potential CO2 impacts of bus projects.

We would greatly appreciate your comments on this proposal and how it
could be strengthened. We are also looking for information (e.g. reports
on similar analyses for other cities, potentially relevant data) that
could be relevant to this study, as we try to gather as much information
as possible up front.

Additionally, we would appreciate suggestions on the names of
organisations
and individuals that could help conduct some of the research components
(please see work plan in document).  Finally, we are seeking expressions
of interest in co-funding any parts of the project of interest to other
groups.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Best regards,

Lew Fulton
International Energy Agency
Office of Energy Efficiency, Technology and R&D
9, Rue de la Federation
Paris 75015
France
33-1-4057-6756