[sustran] Re: question

Craig Townsend townsend at central.murdoch.edu.au
Wed Jan 29 02:42:24 JST 2003

Hi Matthias,

The case of streetcars in LA is of course highly debated. Those who dispute
the role of a "road lobby" or "automobile interests" in the decline of
streetcars in America include:

Richmond, Jonathan. 1998. “The Mythical Conception of Rail Transit in Los
Angeles.” Journal of Architectural and Planning Research . v.15, n.4:294-320.

Slater, Cliff. 1997. “General Motors and the Demise of Streetcars.”
Transportation Quarterly 51:45-66.
(Note that this article which was not particularly rigorous preceded an
excellent exchange the followed in the next issue of Transportation Quarterly,
to which Jean Michel refers.)

Wachs, Martin. 1996. “The Evolution of Transportation Policy in Los Angeles:
Images of Past Policies and Future Prospects.” Pp. 106-159 in The City: Los
Angeles and Urban Theory at the End of the Twentieth Century, edited by Allen
J. Scott and Edward W. Soja. Berkeley: University of California Press.

If my memory is correct, the following book (which was one of the first to
systematically identify a "great web of automotive interests" in the USA)
includes reprints of some key documents from the anti-trust suit filed by the
US government against GM over the streetcar case:

Taebel, Delbert A., and James V. Cornehls. 1977. The Political Economy of
Urban Transportation. London: Kennikat Press.

Best wishes,

Craig
Vancouver, Canada