[sustran] Re: question

Alan P Howes howes at emirates.net.ae
Wed Jan 29 00:45:46 JST 2003

Aha - now I remember. Funny, I saw that movie but can't remember the
plot line ...

Thanks to Bob for this.

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 08:50:35 -0500 (EST), Access Systems
<accessys at smart.net> wrote to "Transit-Prof (E-mail)"
<Transit-Prof at yahoogroups.com>:

the actual story is not quite as sensational but more effective,  in
the
40's and 50's a company called National City Lines was formed to
aquire
trolley companies and convert them to bus, National City Lines was
General
Motors, Firestone tire, and Shell Oil (Standard Oil)  they were pretty
successful and in fact there was an anti trust suit by the government
against them, and they were found guilty and I believe the fine was
$500..(sort of like the Microsoft thing)

  this is the basis for the movie "Roger Rabbit"  The company was very
successful but did have some major failures (Philadelphia)  The
company
then sold the transit companies to the metro areas and no longer
exists as
a transit operating authority (I believe they ceased to exist about 5
years ago as a legal entity)

there is much more about this and can be found with a web search under
the
name National City Lines

Bob

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, Alan Patrick Howes wrote to transit-prof:

Perhaps more chance of an answer here!

> [...]

    NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail
accessys at smartnospam.net
    NO MSWord docs in e-mail                    Access Systems,
engineers
    NO attachments in e-mail,  *LINUX powered*   access is a civil
right

--
Alan Howes, Dubai, UAE (Otherwise Perthshire, Scotland)
alaninthegulf at yahoo.co.uk
Professional website   (Needs Updating!):
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/alanhowes/