[sustran] Re: Private Sector Development of Busways

Walter Hook whook at itdp.org
Fri Dec 12 08:12:44 JST 2003

dear chris,

the big example of this was in San Salvador.  it almost got off the ground
but was disrupted by flooding.  Gerhard knows as much about this as anybody.

I know someting about the Brazil story also, at least in Sao Paulo, though
it was not for a busway but only bus infrastructure investment from busway
companies in exchange for long term exclusive route licenses.  It should be
in my trip report from April, which i think i sent you.

Basically, it all went up in smoke because the govt changed, the new govt
did not honor the committments of the former govt, they allowed competition
in the lanes, and there were big riots and fights.  Because of the
difficulty in Brazil in enforcing non-compliance with contracts in the
Brazilan legal system, this model is now viewed with great skepticism in
Brazil.

We've thought a lot about it, though, the the case of the estado do mexico.
May be relevant in the case of Dakar, also.

best
w.