[sustran] FW: Bus Lane Capacities (was: Article in GuardianNewspaper)

Alan Patrick Howes APHOWES at dm.gov.ae
Tue Apr 1 15:13:50 JST 2003

This thread is in danger of getting out of control!

For bus lane capacities, the two transit-prof emails quoted below give some very useful background and comment on the Lincoln Tunnel Exclusive Bus Lane (XBL) data found at http://www.panynj.gov/tbt/xblmain.htm - thanks to Colin Leech.

For those looking for arguments for Busway rather than LRT or Metro, look no further than http://www.rppi.org/pu16.pdf . It is written in a North American (mainly low- and medium-density development) context, and rail advocates with blood pressure problems should perhaps avoid reading it. But it does bring together in one place a lot of useful facts and arguments in favour of busways. What it omits is the safety and environmental aspects, which is a pity. More polemic than professional in this respect I am afraid - but I am a stuffy Brit!

--
Alan P Howes, Special Transport Advisor,
     Dubai Municipality Public Transport Department
aphowes at dm.gov.ae
http://www.dubaipublictransport.ae/
Tel:    +971 4 286 1616 ext 214