[sustran] Re: Assistance Requested - Cincinnati Light Rail Proposal

Todd Alexander Litman litman at vtpi.org
Tue Oct 29 23:08:26 JST 2002

There is considerable research indicating that rail transit stations can
significantly increase nearby property values and support local economic
development, provided that other factors are in place, including consumer
demand for transit-oriented housing and business locations, and appropriate
local development policies.

There are two components of this effect. One is an economic transfer:
people value transit accessible locations more than transit inaccessible
locations for housing and commercial activities. In addition, transit
oriented development can provide efficiencies of agglomeration, that is,
higher density development can increase the productivity of certain types
of business activities (which is why certain types of stores and industries
tend to locate in major commercial centers). Although this second factor is
difficult to measure, it suggests that transit services can provide large
economic benefits if they they provide a catalyst for more clustered
development.

See:

Jeffery J. Smith, Does Mass Transit Raise Site Values Around Its Stops
Enough To Pay For Itself (Were The Value Captured)?, Geonomy Society
(www.progress.org/geonomy), 2001; available at the Victoria Transport
Policy Institute (www.vtpi.org/smith.htm).

"Transit Evaluation" Online TDM Encyclopedia
(http://www.vtpi.org/tdm/tdm62.htm)

"Transit Oriented Development" Online TDM Encyclopedia
(http://www.vtpi.org/tdm/tdm45.htm)

Sincerely,
Todd Litman, Director
Victoria Transport Policy Institute