[sustran] Developing country focus for EMBARQ - new WRI and Shell Foundation Transport Center

Paul Barter geobpa at nus.edu.sg
Thu May 30 11:19:07 JST 2002

See http://www.embarq.wri.org/

WRI, Shell Foundation Establish New Transport Center

WASHINGTON, DC and LONDON, May 28, 2002 -The World Resources Institute
(WRI) and the Shell Foundation today announce the establishment of a
$7.5 million center called EMBARQ -- the WRI Center for Transport and
the Environment, based in Washington, DC.

EMBARQ will act as a catalyst for socially, financially, and
environmentally sound solutions to the problems of urban transport. The
focus of its first five years of operation will be cities in developing
countries where air pollution, traffic congestion, and lack of access to
clean and convenient transport are most acute and the poor bear the
brunt of the problem.

"We have to change the way we move ourselves if we are to avoid the
gridlock of environmental degradation brought out by transport," said
Kurt Hoffman, director of the London-based Shell Foundation. "The vision
of EMBARQ is a future where modern, healthy, and environmentally
sustainable transport is available to everyone."

To launch EMBARQ the Shell Foundation gave WRI an initial start-up grant
of US$3.75 million; spread over a five-year period. This grant could be
doubled, depending on the success of the center and other fundraising
efforts. This is the largest grant given by the Shell Foundation since
its establishment as an independent charity in 2000 by the Royal
Dutch/Shell Group of Companies.