[sustran] Re: Cycling in cities

Lake Sagaris sagaris at terra.cl
Tue May 14 07:21:04 JST 2002

Hi folks

I'm with Eric on this, and more so. I've lived half my life in Canada,
where I was a permanent biker, and half my life (over 20 years) in Santiago
Chile, where I permanently miss biking as one of my transport options. I do
it on Sundays, but that's hardly the same.

Much as I love biking, I don't see it becoming a major mode of transport in
developing cities (where drivers really are quite insane on safety issues)
without dedicated lanes. In fact, in our cities, where only a small
minority (20% or less) of daily trips are made by car, it seems more than
fair for a significant part of transport infrastructure to be dedicated to
non-motorized transport and other -- majority -- forms of transport,
including pedestrians.

A side effect of pro-bike infrastructure is that city planners start
designing routes and integrating decisions that make the city in general
more bike friendly too. Today, to ride a bike just across the river to
return videos is a nightmare, what with all the traffic, lights, sidewalks,
difficulties going up and down staircases (there is actually a park that
could have been designed with bikeworthy lanes, but instead put in
stairs!), etc. Paths suitable to bike paths suddenly disappear in the midst
of traffic pandemonium, or paths don't offer crossing points (traffic
lights) so one can get from them into key city service areas.

Taking the road back, by giving preference (ie exclusive physical space) to
less polluting, more socially equal transport methods such as buses, bikes
and walking, seems like basic social justice to me. As well as sound from a
safety, comfort and environmental quality point of view.

And quite honestly folks, I think the bikelanes (which share road space) in
polite old Toronto are a nice idea, but not very appealing -- anyone who's
ever used them can speak to the frustration of parked cars, opened doors,
etc. etc. that are the daily bread of this method of "sharing" road space
with bikes. Better to be on the road, or on a basic express bike lane --
and why not reward bike riders with faster "express type" lanes? We're
saving the country on health, energy and infrastructure costs.

To me, Bogota offers an extraordinary example to developed and developing
cities -- they took parking off the roads, then more than doubled sidewalk
(ie pedestrian) rather than car space -- and then they used some of this
improved (and protected from cars, even parked cars by a sizable hump and
other physical barriers) space for the most delicious, seductive bikelanes
I've seen anywhere. This also boosted bike use from .9% to 4% -- and this
with the network of bikelanes still far from finished.

It seems to me that over and over again we get a perspective on this list
that unconsciously assumes that the patterns of the world's developed
cities are the same in developing countries (ie majority car ownership-high
use rates). (I don't mind this, but think it needs to be pointed out yet
again for the exclusive versus non-exclusive infrastructure debate.) This
is not the case in developing countries -- giving us a huge advantage when
it comes to devising more environmental and socially fair transportation
methods for our massive and medium-sized cities. There is no simply no
defendable reason why the most prosperous minority in the population should
get to hog all the transport infrastructure.

Making bikes share roadspace with cars is a recipe for disaster. People in
Latin America get into their cars and exhibit the most extraordinarily
piggish, anti-life behavior imaginable. Santiago, at least, is a city where
if a driver sees a pedestrian crossing the road, the driver speeds up and
takes aim -- for the pedestrian.

Now if, for example (in terms of developing cities), we wanted to talk
about, say, taking a target figure such as 10% of daily trips by bike, and
then turn over 10% of the city's roads to exclusive bike and pedestrian
use, as a basic measure of social justice, environmental preservation and
quality of community and family life, I'd go for that. This would exclude
only a very small number of motorized individuals from these roads, reduce
noise and other pollutant emissions and raise safety levels by bringing
more people onto the street.

I've put this graphically not to offend anyone (I hope) but to put these
points across as strongly as possible.

Thanks for your patience.

Lake Sagaris
Living City