[sustran] Re: transit in Mexico city

Ramon bayk at quickweb.com.ph
Sun Mar 31 22:23:45 JST 2002

I am not familiar with the situation in Mexico DF but I would guess that 25
km is the longest trip from home to work? If that's so, then it is a stretch
to cycle but certainly not impossible. I cycle 15 km to work daily and it
takes me about an hour to do so. Add another 10 km and that's much less than
the 2-3 hours of commute by public transport (I'm assuming) that has been
reported. I do not generally advocate separate bikeways for cyclists because
I think they are unnecessary. What I do advocate is for cyclists to undergo
proper training so that: 1) they can cycle safely on roads; and 2) they can
enjoy cycling as an activity in itself -- something that will sustain their
cycling  more than the usually good-intentioned but usually poorly designed
and implemented bikeways.

Ramon