[sustran] Info please - PCU value, Articulated Bus

Alan Patrick Howes APHOWES at dm.gov.ae
Mon Mar 4 15:22:30 JST 2002

Can anyone give me an accepted pcu-value for a typical articulated bus in
urban traffic conditions? (One hinge, 18m. (60ft) long.)

For that matter, what about a standard rigid bus? According to a Geography
Asociation web document, the pcu value for this is 3.0, which (intuitively)
seems to me a tad high. But Peter White's standard work on Public Transport
says "... a bus carrying 50 passengers receives little more weight than a
private car" - that seems on the low side.

Cheers, Alan.

--
Alan P Howes, Special Transport Advisor,
     Dubai Municipality Public Transport Department
aphowes at dm.gov.ae
Tel:    +971 4 286 1616 ext 214
Mobile: +971 50 5989661