[sustran] Re: Bus and rail (fwd)

Alan Patrick Howes APHOWES at dm.gov.ae
Sat Mar 2 13:03:10 JST 2002

Indeed. And presumably the converse also applies? Driver (operator) costs
are hardy an issue here, and in less developed countries even less so.

And the attractiveness of rail to higher income riders is something of a
cultural issue. In some parts of the world (eg parts of South America and SE
Asia, Turkey), rail has a pretty negative image, while in Europe it is very
much the reverse.

--
Alan P Howes, Special Transport Advisor,
     Dubai Municipality Public Transport Department
aphowes at dm.gov.ae
Tel:    +971 4 286 1616 ext 214