[sustran] RE: sustran-discuss V1 #985

Brent Efford brent.efford at techmedia.co.nz
Fri Mar 1 07:53:00 JST 2002

A significant example of the "trojan horse" use of busways is Auckland, New
Zealand, where busways are being promoted by an anti-rail coalition backing
extensive freeway construction - i.e. as a sop to pro-public transport
sentiment without seriously challenging the car-dependent paradigm. There
are some busways already, using the shoulders of existing freeways, but they
come to an end where there is real competition for road width, like over the
harbour bridge.

To be in any way comparable to rail systems, busways would need to provide
an unobstructed right of way end-to-end. Busways can provide fast transit
through suburban areas but seem to exacerbate congestion problems downtown
where the buses have to mix with ordinary traffic, and become congestion
agents in their own right. Compare central Melbourne, where over-all
congestion is quite low and few bus routes enter the central city (and the
trams stick obediently to the middle of the street) with Brisbane or Sydney.

Brent Efford
Co-ordinator, Transport 2000+ NZ
PO Box 2626, Wellington 6015
New Zealand