[sustran] Re: Bus and rail (fwd)

BruunB at aol.com BruunB at aol.com
Fri Mar 1 02:29:29 JST 2002

Additional issues to consider off of the top of my head include
1) the peaking characteristics of travel -- rail is much better at meeting
large surges in demand since high frequency can be maintained all day long at
the same operator cost, only the consist size changes.
2) I have heard the Sao Paolo busways are atrocious to be located near. The
wall of buses is very noisy and severs the corridor, much like freeways have
done to the US.
3) The type of alignment used. Once building an elevated section or tunnel
anyway, the case for rail becomes much stronger.
4) The number of corridors that need improvement. Cities that are more linear
with with fewer corridors can better afford to concentrate investment than
ones that have a sprawling grid to cover.
5) The higher the income level of passengers you are trying to attract and
the higher the income level of the vehicle operators, the more sense rail
makes.

Eric Bruun