[sustran] Re: SHELVE BMIC - The "Enron" Of Road Development- Press Release - July 04, 2002

ESG, INDIA esg at bgl.vsnl.net.in
Tue Jul 9 15:59:44 JST 2002

Dear Kisan sab,

Thank you for commenting on the optioins we have proposed.  Your suggestions
of raised pavements are well taken, and we will see if this can be
integrated into the road design proposed by KRDCL.  There is no reason why
India should not develop its own unique mix of safe fast road travel with
heavy use by local pedestrians and slow moving vehicles (as majority of our
vehicles are still in this category, and will remain to be so for a long
time).  The length and breadth of this country is characterised by roads
which require such mixed use possibilities, and our minimal resources are
best used in developing roads and railways that serve the widest possible
section of society.  Exclusive fast travel expressives will always have very
high social and environmental impacts, besides being difficult to finance
and unaffordable to most.

There is an active plan to propose the "annuity" scheme for development of
toll based expressways in the country, and I wish to enquire if the
financial implications of this scheme on the exchequer and the general
population has been carefully addressed?

Leo Saldanha