[sustran] Re: Banaglore-Mysore Highway/India/Sustran

ESG, INDIA esg at bgl.vsnl.net.in
Tue Jul 9 15:59:33 JST 2002

Dear Pendakur,

Thank you for your reaction to our note.  We are certainly as worried as you
are about the conditions 'in the "largest democracy into world"?'.  The BMIC
Project is an absolute reflection of what is wrong with our decision making
processes and details are archived at www.indiatogether.org/campaigns/bmic

Whilst we appreciate your supportive stand on building our railway
infrastructure better, I must admit that the point about why business people
prefer not to use is not very clear.  Yes the freight rates were a big
concern over time, but with innovative practices, such as in the Konkan
Railway, where lorries climb onto to specially developed carriages for a
small fee, the costs of freight transport has been found to be advantageous
to all, and there is less load on the NH-17, which incidentally has had a
high accident rate (sorry about this long sentence).  We believe similar
progressive practices on the Bangalore Mysore sector would help in reducing
traffic loads and make travel safer.

Finally, we are not saying NO to road development between these fast growing
cities.  In fact we are in support of the proposal to widen the existing
road.  Mr. Kisan Mehta's suggestions on this issue are well taken, and
integrating raised pavements should safeguard the interests of pedestrians,
cyclists, bullock carts, and a variety of other users.  Clearly, India is
not a country that can leapfrog into German or US standard highways, for
such high involvement of private vehicle use is meaningless in our economic
and cultural contexts.  One may even argue that given the future of travel
and transport in India is with public transport, developing expressways
would only serve a very very small section of the society at the cost of
everyone else.

My opinions surely are antithetical to yours, I agree, but these are based
on some deep reflections and analysis of being a constant road user here.

Leo Saldanha