[sustran] Mumbai --> World Sustainable Cities Consortium:

Eric Britton ecoplan.adsl at wanadoo.fr
Mon Jul 8 15:18:10 JST 2002

Dear Friends,

Here is how we propose to do what we can to support what appears to be a
much needed public laundering of the issues and choices in Mumbai.

If you go to the new site of the World Sustainable Cities Consortium  at
http://ngroups.com/stockholm and click the rubric Projects in Peril, you
will see by way of first quick entry and place holder the letter just
received from Kisan Mehta and the Save Bombay Committee .  The short
introduction to it makes the point of what we would now like to do with
this. I quote: "This is placed here temporarily as a preliminary
statement of this difficult and challenged project.  We are hoping with
the help of those involved in the days immediately ahead to turn this
into a nicely organized readable set of pieces which together make the
point, including hopefully links to the Bank, alternative points of view
and the media.  This is a cooperative undertaking with our friends at
Sustran - the Sustainable Transport Action Network for Asia & the
Pacific."

Thus, what we need now is the further background and evidence. This I
see as consisted of a series of nested pieces, short essays with
background and perhaps alternative points of view, and links to more
complete information, reports and media coverage.  Then once we have
this in place - hopefully within the days immediately ahead, we can then
reach out to the several thousand people and groups around the world who
regularly come into the various sites and programs of The Commons, all
of which take direct aim at the underlying issues of sustainable
development and social justice, including with a certain expertise in
matters of transportation and cities.

The subsequent discussion and development of these materials could take
place in parallel perhaps on both the Sustran list and the new
discussion group set up under the World Transport Policy and Practice
forum (http://wTransport.org <http://wtransport.org/> ) which you will
see if you click the Focus Discussions link of the menus.  I might add
about this last is that this forum has been set up precisely to welcome
and air alternative points of view on the issues in question, so
differences of opinion are entirely welcome.

It would be lovely if one or more of you might undertake the job of
helping us organize all this.  Also your ideas on how we might make a
better job of this at this end here would be, as always, most welcome.

With all good wishes,

Eric Britton

The Commons __ technology, economy, society__

Day phone: +331 4326 1323 Mobile: +336 80 96 78 79

24 hour Fax/Voicemail hotline: +1 888 677-4866

http://ecoplan.org/   IP Videoconference: 81.65.50.63

Email: ecoplan.adsl at wanadoo.fr    <http://www.ecoplan.org/>  URL
www.ecoplan.org