[sustran] Re: FW: EVICTION ALERT APPEAL re Expressway in Karachi

kisan mehta kisansbc at vsnl.com
Thu Jan 31 00:12:08 JST 2002

Dear Paul and Sustran Colleagues,

The condition of poor communities of LYARI NADI
in Karachi, Pakistan is an example of the alienation
suffered by the poor in every country of the world.

The government and the rich want all facilities like
expressways but do not want to pay the cost of
developing infrastructure.   The idea of setting up
towns on the route of the expressway to cover up
the high cost of building expressways puts
additional burden on the community, majority of
whom are poor. And there is no body to take up
their case.  Even the environmentalists and so
called community workers also need facilities
for their comfort.

Quite often the government construction agency is
not left with any money to build the towns etc and
the rich were never told to bear the costs,  So the
burde comes to the poor. About half of 165 km
length of Mumbai Pune Expressway was opened with
lot of funfair.  The last one year experience has shown
that even the recurring costs are not covered.  Nobody
can say as to when satellite towns will come up.

Conditions in Pakistan are no better. Yet the authorities
do not drop expensive programmes.  Uprooting citizens
from their moorings creates a feeling of alienation
and that leads to strife btween people. Best wishes.

Priya Salvi and Kisan Mehta