[sustran] NeTrA update

Debi Goenka debi at beag.net
Mon Jan 21 12:57:54 JST 2002

This is in response to the rather lively discussion going on re NeTrA, Skybus et al between Nikhil, Sujit and Kisan. Time to add my two bits!

First of all, NeTrA (Networking for Transportation Alternatives) is a coalition of NGOs formed in Mumbai to address problems of commuters and transportation issues. It was formed as a result of a public meeting in which more than 30 groups participated, and all these groups, and others as well who were really interested in addressing the issues, were invited to participate in NeTrA.

As a beginning, NeTrA identified the 10 issues listed by Nikhil in the mail sent to Sujit, as the ten priority issues for addressing the transport problems in the city. The suggestions made by Sujit are in fact part of the NeTrA agenda (except for electric trolley buses!).

The note that Nikhil had circulated is an abbrieviated version of the note that was finally sent to the State Government - we should be in a position to circulate our more detailed note to any one who wants a copy within a few days.

We have had an extremely great start, in the sense that ALL these issues have been accepted by the bureeaucrats and police as priority issues, and an action plan is being chalked out for their implementation. Kisan Mehta may find that almost all the issues that he has listed in his mail are there on the NeTrA agenda as well!

Some of the points raised by Sujit re the Skybus are points to which I had responded to in my earlier mails, but the bottom line is that this is a new technology, and even to build a working prototype, money is required. The capital costs for this project are mentioned at around Rs.400 million per kilometre (1 US $ = Rs.46 currently), and the commuter is being offered the option of travelling at an average speed of 40 kmph at a cost of one half of a rupee per kilometre. Full details of this project are available at the Konkan railway website
http://communities.msn.com/SkyBusMetrosolution

As against this, I understand that the MRT in Delhi is being built at a cost of about Rs.2000 million per km.

Please note that the stand taken by NeTrA is that this project is being supported because this project is an environmentally friendly mass transportation system with minimal environmental repercussions. NeTrA does not claim to have the technical ability to evaluate this project, though I understand the project proponents have managed to answer all the queries that have been raised. Also, no one has yet told us why this project will not work!

I understand that the Konkan Railway is going ahead with implementing this project at Baghdad and Cochin, where their bids have been approved.

Cheers

Debi