[sustran] Re: Bus and rail

Alan Patrick Howes APHOWES at dm.gov.ae
Wed Feb 27 12:41:38 JST 2002

That just about says it all, IMO. Apart from the fact (again IMO) that there
is a particular problem about rail systems in less developed countries -
particularly those experiencing rapid economic growth. In such countries,
there tends to be far less certainty about future land use distribution, and
intensities of residential and commercial development. Major developments
may be built, or not built, virtually on a whim - totally different to the
well-directed land use planning that is the case in Europe, and even, to a
lesser extent, in North America (I think!).

Planning and design horizons for rail are relatively long, and it can well
happen that by the time a line is built, the assumptions on which it was
planned have changed radically. In such a case you can hardly pick up the
rails and put them elsewhere - a much more realistic option with a busway,
where the capital investment per km. is much lower.

All opinions are my own.
--
Alan P Howes, Special Transport Advisor,
     Dubai Municipality Public Transport Department
aphowes at dm.gov.ae
Tel:    +971 4 286 1616 ext 214