[sustran] Re: <j_whitelegg@hotmail.com>]

Craig Townsend townsend at central.murdoch.edu.au
Tue Feb 26 11:36:19 JST 2002

I agree wholeheartedly with Prof. Whitelegg, and would urge caution to our
colleagues in cities of developing Asian nations in following Australia.
While TS is an excellent measure in the Perth context, in some sense it is
an "add-on" (along with busways and segregated cycle lanes) to one of the
most automobile dependent transportation systems in the world. If you tell
your road engineers to follow the Perth example, they may ask you for a
blank cheque!

I would also like to add to Dr. Dhingra's comments. Busways may be
successful in mid-size, mid-density "provincial" cities like Curitiba,
Nagoya, and Kunming; but there are compelling technical and political
reasons why Sao Paulo, Tokyo, and Shanghai have high capacity rail systems
running along main corridors, and why these systems are all being expanded.
While mobilizing finance for heavy rail systems may be a challenge, as
India's economy expands, large and high density mega-cities such as Mumbai
and Kolkata must have rail, bus, and NMT oriented transport systems.

Best wishes,

Craig Townsend