[sustran] FW: BOUNCE sustran-discuss@jca.ax.apc.org: Non-member submissi on from ["John Whitelegg" <j_whitelegg@hotmail.com>]

Paul Barter geobpa at nus.edu.sg
Mon Feb 25 14:28:53 JST 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-sustran-discuss at jca.ax.apc.org
[mailto:owner-sustran-discuss at jca.ax.apc.org]
Sent: Sunday, 24 February 2002 10:07 AM
To: sustran-discuss-approval at jca.apc.org
Subject: BOUNCE sustran-discuss at jca.ax.apc.org: Non-member submission from
["John Whitelegg" <j_whitelegg at hotmail.com>]

From: "John Whitelegg" <j_whitelegg at hotmail.com>
To: sustran-discuss at jca.ax.apc.org
Subject: Re: [sustran] Re: TDM in Perth, WA - 14% car-driver trip reductio n
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 02:05:49 +0000

Dear Sustran discussants,

I've just returned from a 3 week, 6 state lecture tour of Australia.  Travel

Smart is fantastic in Perth and is growing in importance elsewhere.  there
is a really goood scheme in Brisbane.

However please be cautious about all this.  Australian cities are all
embarking on massive freeway construction, suburbanistaion, sprwal etc and
the generation of addtional traffic far outweighs the gains in TS.  The
authorities in Brisbane are especially gung-ho about billions of dollars of
new highway capacity and rject totally the idea that new capacity will fuel
the increase in traffic and short distance car trips.

veruy best wishes

John Whitelegg