[sustran] FW: BOUNCE sustran-discuss@jca.ax.apc.org: Non-member submissi on from [dhingra <dhungra@civil.iitb.ac.in>]

Paul Barter geobpa at nus.edu.sg
Mon Feb 25 14:27:36 JST 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-sustran-discuss at jca.ax.apc.org
[mailto:owner-sustran-discuss at jca.ax.apc.org]
Sent: Sunday, 24 February 2002 4:35 PM
To: sustran-discuss-approval at jca.apc.org
Subject: BOUNCE sustran-discuss at jca.ax.apc.org: Non-member submission from
[dhingra <dhungra at civil.iitb.ac.in>]

To: sustran-discuss at jca.ax.apc.org
Subject: Re: [sustran] Bus Transport

Dear Sustran Friends,
                        Let's not be misled by HCBS some ideas of which have
been presented by Dr Geetam Tiwari.
                This HCBS discussed by her has been advocated for at least
since
1982 in India at a seminar   on Transportation Research at  School of
Planning &
Arch New Delhi when a detailed presentation was made including it's design
and technical aspects. What she is talking about is basically dedicated bus
system may at grade or elevated one.The dedicated at grade bus lanes were
recommended by the so-called Comprehensive Transportation study,1993 by W S
Atkins for the central corridor in Mumbai.Inspite of the fact that WB
funding/ loan is promised for part of MUTP-II, this has yet not been tried
as yet.May be the insufficiency of the road width ,which is normally the
case, could be  the reason here.Any elevated dedicated rail/bus route , in
the middle of the road,will be most welcome as it is
cost-effective,particularly the electricity based rail sytem  as it will be
more sustainable and with much increased capacity and similar cost. One of
the case study cited by her is of Nagoya which myself andmy colleague, Prof
KVK Rao  visited  last August.For her information and info' of all of us,
the key route and guided bus route systems of Nagoya are basically are
guided by horizontal small wheels .Hopefully  she is talking about the
dedicated bus route system only otherewise it won't  provide high capacity
at all and will mislead us.One rail based system(skybus) is poised for
implementation between Andheri and Ghatkopar  in Mumbai soon. This has
already appeared in the News papers. This is being given just to clarify
dedicated at grade/elevated mass transportation( rail/road) systems
vis-a-vis HCBS . sincerely
* Dr S. L DHINGRA                          *
* Prof. of TRANSP. SYSTEMS ENGG. (TSE)     *
* CIVIL ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT       *
* INDIAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY           *
* POWAI,BOMBAY-400 076,INDIA               *
* VOICE:091-022-5767329/01(OFF)/8329(RES)  *
*               5720001(RES) Private       *
*               5722545 EXTN 7329/7301(Off)*
*               5726530  ..  7348(LAB)     *
*                        ..    8329(RES)   *
* FAX :091-022-5767302/5723480             *
* GRAMS:TECHNOLOGY,BOMBY,INDIA             *
* TELEX:011-72313 IITB IN                  *
* EMAIL:dhingra at civil.iitb.ac.in           *
* URL:http://www.civil.iitb.ac.in/         *
*     civil_people/faculty_dir/dhingra/    *
*     index.html                           *