[sustran] Re: Canal transport in Bangkok

Brendan Finn bfinn at singnet.com.sg
Thu Feb 14 13:48:33 JST 2002

In response to Craig's comments on river / canal transport in Bangkok, it might not be best practice, but it certainly is interesting practice. The services are well organised and effective, even if they could be tidied up somewhat.

As I was in Bangkok earlier this week, I took the opportunity to look at the ferry operations along the Klong Saen Saeb (San Sap), which runs from the old city (near the Golden Mount temple) due east to the edge of the city. I did a simple boarding/alighting survey at Th. Phaya Thai beside the Ratchathewi BTS stop, measuring also total passengers and headways for one-hour periods in the morning and evening. Boats arrived at about 20/hour in each direction, carrying about 500 px/hour each way in the evening peak and over 800 px. downstream in the morning peak. >From a separate observation, I know that there is also a lot of boarding/alighting at the next upstream jetty at Th. Ratchadamri, so the total use of the khlong service is higher. While these figures don't put the boat services in the same league as rail, they compare favourably to a good bus route, and certainly have the potential for higher utilisation. Jetties are often sited at road bridges, allowing people to access the street-based transport services. As with all of Bangkok's transport services, planned integration (or even information about the options) would make a world of difference.

Operations are slick, with excellent dwell time at jetties. This is, of course, achieved through nimble footwork and balance by passengers that would put the heart crossways on any western health and safety officer. As with crossing the street in Bangkok, you take it very seriously and as a result you don't get sloppy. Nonetheless, boat crews were more than willing to wait for slower, nervous or encumbered passengers, and to tie up the boat if necessary. Operating speed was good, and certainly faster than anything on the street. Passengers don't usually get splashed because there is a pull-up screen to provide protection. The one nasty safety issue I observed yesterday morning was where a mattress had been chucked in the canal and formed a floating hazard. It had fouled the propellers of one of the boats, and a crew member had to repeatedly go under the dirty water to cut it away.

My original point was about what lessons can be learned, not about what is perfect. As a transport professional, I came away very impressed with what I saw, and felt that I had learned something. As a user, I liked it and found it faster, cheaper and more interesting than other options available. Where it suited my trip purpose I used it; and where it didn't, I used other modes.

Hope this is of some interest or use.

With best wishes.

Brendan Finn.

Please note contact details as follows :

Address : 28, Leonie Hill, #02-28 Leonie Towers, Singapore 239227
Mobile : +65.94332298     Tel : +65.7340260   Fax/Tel : +65.7340412
e-mail :  bfinn at singnet.com.sg        Website  :  http://www.europrojects.ie/etts