[sustran] Re: virus warning

Paul Barter geobpa at nus.edu.sg
Thu Feb 7 14:47:21 JST 2002

Dear all

Craig T said:
> I just received a Sustran email with an attached file which
> has a virus. Do not open it!

Fortunately, I don't think the infected message that Craig received came
directly via the sustran-discuss list.

However, what has been happening intermittently recently is that certain
sustran-discuss members have had their computers infected with viruses that
use addresses (and often the subject lines) of messages found in their
microsoft outlook inbox. Therefore, anyone who recently sent mail to the
sustran-discuss list might then get an infected email attachment.

I have tried to configure the sustran-discuss list to not handle
attachments. I hope this will make it extremely difficult for a virus to
propagate directly via the list. But there is no way for me to stop the
problem described above. The only solution is for everyone to be EXTREMELY
cautious about opening attachments - even when they are from someone you
know and even if they have a plausible subject line and even if the
attachment looks like an innocuous file type. AND keep your anti-virus
software as up to date as you can.

Hope this helps and reassures a little.  I hope this does not discourage you
all from using the list and participating.

Paul
(list manager)

Paul