[sustran] Cycle ways in London- Wel-come news reproduced from CE News of Nepal

Harshad Kamdar hjk at rincon.net
Fri Feb 1 19:41:03 JST 2002

While at Sustran, we have been discussing about roads, here is a piece of
welcome news from London. Our felicitations to the Mayor of London for the
thoghts for fitter Londeners. In contrast in developing countries the
thoughts are on faster traffic (Autos albeit) at the cost of footpaths as in
Mumbai

Kanu H.J.Kamdar
Prakruti & Save Bombay Committee
hjk at rincon.net

London Puts Money for Cycling

Showing that cycling is a top priority for the city, London's Mayor, Ken
Livingstone, has allocated £8 million for this transportation alternative in
the city's budget for next year. "Too often the transport debate is focused
on cars and trains. What about bikes and walking?" asked the Mayor. "I feel
confident that if Londoners were to have safe and extensive cycling routes,
they'd be more prepared to travel through their city on two wheels. The
benefits are less congestion, less noise, less pollution and fitter
Londoners."

Mr. Livingstone said Transport for London was carrying out a fundamental
review of how the money could be spent most effectively to improve cycling
in the capital. Overall, the transport funding is set at £120 million, an
increase of £10 million over last year.