[sustran] Re: The Private Provision of Public Transport

Brendan Finn bfinn at singnet.com.sg
Fri Feb 1 12:56:21 JST 2002

Some further thoughts on the mail of Eric Bruun on the topic of private
provision of public transport. I would like to stimulate discussion and
argument from people throughout the Sustrans community, especially in Asia
where there is such diversity of situations and responses.

I have avoided putting in examples to keep the e-mail reasonably short and
focus on issues. A paper that I presented at TRB in Washington earlier this
month covers some of the material, and I will e-mail it on request.

1) First, a warm thanks to Eric for getting to the kernel of the issue with
practical examples, and challenging simplistic ideas that private provision
of transport is best without defining what "best" actually means, and who
are the beneficiaries.

2) After Jonathon Richmond posted his advert to Sustrans I visited his
website and read his conclusions chapter. It's a reasonable read, since
anyone familiar with the area can easily see where the supported facts end,
and the opinion begins. Even though I don't agree with all his opinions,
nothing wrong with him having them. The facts are useful and interesting.

3) Eric's key point is one that I have also encountered in researching
regulatory frameworks and meeting transport authorities in developed
countries over the last year. Where containing cost is the key motivation
for competitive tendering or other forms of private participation in the
transit market, then contracts are won on price (sometimes subject to
certain defined operator competence and quality).

Since labour accounts for 60-75% of total bus costs (depends on ratio of
labour to capital costs, local economy, staffing levels) then the only way
to win is drive down labour costs. And since it's an awful lot easier and
quicker to just pay lower wages than to build productivity and quality, it's
not surprising that competitions are won through shedding labour, shedding
senior staff, cutting hourly rates and overtime, deskilling etc.
Value-adding functions are stripped out along with other overheads, so the
operating company reduces to being a unit of production.

This situation lasts until :

a) The economy picks up and the labour market shrinks. Then, there is either
an upward pressure on labour rates or you cannot recruit and retain the
quality of staff needed for bus services.  Either the contract price goes
up, or the quality suffers badly.

b) The basis for competition is eliminated through domination, consolidation
or collusion, and bid prices rise in the knowledge that there is little
prospect of real competition.

In four cities that I recently visited, bid prices have shown a big increase
in the last year.

4) Some commentators will argue that the market always responds. My
observations are that this is not the case in urban public transport. Once
there is a dominant operator, or staking out of turf among the incumbents,
there is no motivation for them to hurt each other competing for each
other's core business, and they will quickly see off any newcomer.

5) The alternative approach is to make price just one of a number of
criteria, thus reducing the focus on wage cutting, and instead concentrating
on the qualities of potential bidders in terms of quality, market
development, innovation, integration, stability, investment in mobile and
human assets. This means that big public purse savings cannot be made up
front, more modest savings can be achieved while keeping quality and
stability. Transport authorities need to ask themselves, do they want cheap
transit, or good transit ?

6) Incidentally, public provision is often beset by problems as well.
Unresponsive, inefficient services at high public cost are often the result
of unmotivated management and intransigent labour, and a lack of a clear
vision of the role to be played by transit. Advocates of the public sector
will have to admit that reforms and efficiency often only come as a result
of actual competition - legal or illegal.

7) But what of cities in developing countries, or where the economy is weak
or in turmoil ? Here, the public provision may be quite weak, and the
private sector participation is necessary to meet the needs of the citizens.
In some cases this is well structured, in others it is chaotic. Is the
experience of the developed countries relevant for them ? Or indeed, what
can developed countries with their protected markets learn from the
diversity of private sector participation in countries they consider to be
less developed ?

8) One thing is for sure. Private entities have no public sector
motivations. They will by their nature seek profit at lowest cost and risk,
will tend towards domination and monopolistic behaviour, and after an
initial competitive phase will seek to secure their markets and minimise
risk. They will not innovate unless they have to. Over time, they also tend
towards inefficiency, and may require drastic reform to regain
competitiveness.

There is nothing wrong with engaging such entities for provision of public
transport as long as their nature is understood, and the public purpose is
assured through the transport authority by way of contract/franchise
conditions and intervention mechanisms.

Sorry for the length of this e-mail. I welcome any discussion or argument on
these points. It would be useful to get the strands from different parts of
Asia and South America, and see where this leads us.

For the sake of the members of this discussion group, please remember that
specific questions (or requests for my paper) can always be sent directly to
me, rather than posted to the group as a whole.

With best wishes,

Brendan Finn.

Please note contact details as follows :

Address : 28, Leonie Hill, #02-28 Leonie Towers, Singapore 239227
Mobile : +65.94332298     Tel : +65.7340260   Fax/Tel : +65.7340412
e-mail :  bfinn at singnet.com.sg        Website  :
http://www.europrojects.ie/etts