[sustran] MacDemocracy

Eric Britton ecoplan.adsl at wanadoo.fr
Thu Aug 1 01:52:06 JST 2002

"Isn't it ironical that in the largest democracy in the world, public
transport gets the least priority?"

Oh dear Debi and all. To which I believe the relevant answer is another
question:  "And what indeed do you mean by democracy?"

I do not say this lightly, since it is the subject of much of my work
and thought in all I do.  The joke on us is that we simply have not
questioned the received wisdom about democracy.  And to get that one
straight, I believe that the proper point of departure is to look back
and consult with wonderful people like Samuel Johnson and Edmund Burke
who considered it frankly as inflammatory and dangerous.  Then once we
have worked our way through that one, it leads us to question today's
prevailing practices, which I propose we call until a better word that
can be found MacDemocracy.  In MacDemocracy, the citizen obediently goes
to the polls (cash register) at regular intervals, puts down his money
(vote), and is served another tasty meal from the same old kitchen and
expected to sit there obediently and swallow.

You just can't have real democracy and a passive citzenry.

Sorry.

eric britton

PS. We need you to go to
http://www.ngroups.com/stockholm/index.php?body=faq#about3 and make your
voice heard.  Now, it this works, then many people in the world are
going to begin to get an idea as to what democracy is all about.