[sustran] Earth Car Free Day 2002 is on April 22nd

Eric Britton ecoplan.adsl at wanadoo.fr
Mon Apr 15 02:17:06 JST 2002

Paris, Sunday, April 14, 2002

Dear Friends,

This is a reminder that Earth Car Free Day 2002 will take place one week
from tomorrow on April 22nd.  You are invited to check into The Commons
special ECFD website at http://www.earthcfd.org, to view the information
on the events already planned and announced on the parallel forum of the
Earth Day Network.   If you click the “What’s New?” link on the top menu
you will see what else is taking place on the world CFD scene.  (More
perhaps than you may have thought?)

Traditionally Car Free Days have been organized in many places from the
"top down", with government authorities proclaiming the Day and then
taking the lead to make it work. When carefully prepared and broadly
supported, this approach has worked well, and the ECFD team is working
hand in hand to support projects coming out of cooperating City Halls.
But we are also hard at work to support grass-roots movements and
demonstrations led by other actors on the local scene, creating new
partnerships with local government.

Earth Car Free Day 2001 is a joyful, wide-open, non-bureaucratic, 100%
volunteer event. It does not use a drop of taxpayer money and takes a
vigorous "Big House" approach to CFD organization: celebrating diversity
and active local commitment above all.  We see it as a shining model
for  citizen consultation and action, and for democracy, for the 21st
century.

If you are planning something for the Day, we invite you to share your
project information with us.  You can enter it directly into the
database on the site, which has been laid out to make this an easy
chore.   Your postings will encourage and help others as they consider
how they too might give this a try.

With all good wishes,

Eric Britton

Earth Car Free Day at http://www.earthcfd.org,

The Commons __ technology, economy, society__
Day phone: +331 4326 1323 Mobile: +336 8096 7879
24 hour Fax/Voicemail hotline: +1 888 677-4866
IP Videoconference: 193.252.199.213 or 195.132.93.13
Email: mail at worldcarshare.com or ecoplan.adsl at wanadoo.fr