[sustran] Re: Fwd: Worldwide Grist on Bogota

kisan mehta kisansbc at vsnl.com
Sun Apr 14 14:08:13 JST 2002

Dear Sustran friends,

Our authorities- Maharashtra State Government, Indian
Railways,  Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development
Authority, Mumbai Municipality, Traffic Police etc are
anxious to develop a traffic system in Mumbai (12
million residents) based on pavementless carriageways,
elevated roads, flyovers etc to help private motorists at
public cost.  These programmes cause severe hardship
to the common man.  As if this is not enough, the
government is out to construct Sea Link costing (not
disclosed) cost of Rs 10 billion (Ind Rs 48 make a US $)

The World Bank is all set to legitimise this flamboyant
Mumbai Urban Transport Project (MUTP) by extending
a loan to the resource strapped government which  has
withdrawn social welfare programmes in education and
public health on the grounds of paucity of funds.
Motorists will pay anything for the facilities and the
burden will fall on common man.

Mumbai has the highest road fatality rate in the world.
Pedestrians form 81% of the fatalieis. Ministers and
bureaucrats use govt limousinces with blaring lights.
So they are not affected by rising road accident rate.

We wish to do a last ditch effort to bring sense to the
authorities.  We thought we shall place verious
untraditional programmes similar to what have worked
in Curitoba,  Bogota and elsewhere to promote walking,
cycling, public transport etc.  We seek detailed info on
these programmes.  Many of you are intimately involved
and follow such programmes.  Can you kindly forward
data to us through email, published literature. etc.

Our authorties feign ignorance to data on email, fax
etc to avoid public exposure.   Thanks in advance.
Best wishes.

Kisan Mehta  mailto:kisansbc at vsnl.com
and Priya Salvi  priya_salvi at yahoo.com
Save Bombay Committee