[sustran] RE: bus lanes research

Paul Barter geobpa at nus.edu.sg
Fri Apr 5 09:59:45 JST 2002

Dear Luis Fernando Di Pierro

I am replying to your message sent to sustran at po.jaring.my. Here are a few
suggestions to help you track down more information. (Although the rest of
the world tends to look to Brazil as a leader in this area!)

1.  I am forwarding this reply to sustran-discuss email discussion list.
Someone else in that discussion may have some suggestions for you. There has
been much discussion on the list at various times on this issue, including
news of Bogota's success with the Transmilenio project. You can view the
archives of these discusssions via
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sustran-discuss/

2.  The Asia-Pacific cities with major busway projects or existing busways
to my knowledge include:  Taipei, Taiwan; Nagoya, Japan; Kunming, China;
Brisbane, Australia;  Adelaide, Australia (guided busway); and there are
apparently proposals for Bangalore in southern India.  Karachi in Pakistan
considered an elevated 'transitway' but has apparently abandoned the idea.

In addition numerous cities in the region have networks of bus lanes of
varying quality and size. Among the most significant (to my limited
knowledge) are: Seoul, Korea;  Hong Kong SAR, China;  Bangkok, Thailand
(including some successful contra-flow lanes); Singapore;  but there are
many others of course.

3.  A web site that seems to have a lot of information and news on busways
and bus priority in this region (Asia and Pacific) is
http://www.smarturbantransport.com/

I hope this helps a little,

Paul

Dr Paul A. Barter
Visiting Fellow, Department of Geography
National University of Singapore
1 Arts Link, Singapore 117570
NOTE NEW PHONE & FAX NUMBERS:
Tel: +65-6874 3860; Fax: +65-6777 3091
E-mail: geobpa at nus.edu.sg

PS  I am still volunteer contact point for SUSTRAN Network information
services http://www.geocities.com/sustrannet

But for all other SUSTRAN Network matters contact the NEW SECRETARIAT:
Dr Bambang Susantono and Ms Moekti H. Soejachmoen
Sustainable Transport Action Network for Asia and the Pacific (SUSTRAN
Network)
c/o Pelangi Indonesia, Jl. Danau Tondano No. A-4,
Jakarta 10210, Indonesia.
Tel. +(62 21) 573 5020, 571 9360
Fax +(62 21) 573 2503
csti at pelangi.or.id