[sustran] Re: transit in Mexico city

Craig Townsend townsend at central.murdoch.edu.au
Wed Apr 3 12:24:20 JST 2002

Dear Kanu,

While bicycles are good for the poor, it is worth noting that in the places
such as Tokyo and Amsterdam where cycling and walking are prominent and
well-integrated with other forms of urban transport, they are used by rich
men (and women) as well. This point is made in the document "Poverty and
Urban Transport" (available online) prepared for the World Bank Urban
Transport Strategy Review. They advise that "the attention paid to non
motorized transport has to be viewed as an element in a more global policy
where efforts are made also on public transport supply. So that these
policies have a chance to be implemented successfully, it is essential that
they do not solely concern the poorest but also other population categories."

Craig

At 04:28 PM 02/04/02 +0530, you wrote:
>Dear Paula,
>
>I have been following the exchanges re Cycling and Mexico which is 2400 M
>above MSL. Even in Khatmandu (Nepal) I was reading that they are trying to
>provide Cycleways. Even as an experimentation they have started a Mountain
>Cycle mounted Police for controlling traffic.
>
>A bicycle is a poor man's vehicle and it also lends mobility to the youth
>
>Kanu
>
>Kanu H J Kamdar
>
>Tel: +91 22 4010041
>Fax: +91 22 4021590
>E Mail: hjk @rincon.net <mailto:hjk at rincon.net>

Craig Townsend
Institute for Sustainability & Technology Policy
Murdoch University
South Street, Murdoch
Perth, Western Australia 6150

tel: (61 8) 9360 6278