[sustran] Re: transit in Mexico city

kisan mehta kisansbc at vsnl.com
Wed Apr 3 01:55:58 JST 2002

We are happy that the Transit in Mexico city has really
brought about lot of discussions and new ideas.

We observe that as cities grow bigger and turn into metropolises, they need and should need wider
choice of modes however both importance of walking
and cycling as independent mode for movement
cannot be reduced or rather should not be reduced.

However authorities in the developing (poor) countries
opt for motorised modes in place of cycling and
non-motorised modes instead of developing all modes
in harmony with cycles and public transport.  Substantial portion of public resources are used for motor cars, motorways, expressways, fly overs and what not.

In Mumbai(population 12 million),  88% of journeys
are performed by public transport, 7% by private
vehicles and 5% by taxies. This breakup would
continue substantially with the %age for public
transport declining to 86% in the year 2011.
Yet public money is being used on motor roads.
Public transport services run always in loss,
yet they are being taxed more. No tax on
private vehicles.

The classic example of public transport being
given the lowest priority is observed on the JJ
Hospital to Jyotiba Phule Market elevated
road now under construction. Construction
requires diversion of motorised traffic at one point.
Detour for motor cars is about 200 metres while
public road buses providing 4.6 million journeys
are made to detour involving 2 km longer travel.

Cycles have a definite role to play in movement
in human settlements.  This role is not diminished
with cities becoming larger yet all restrictions are
being placed and excuses of safety brought to the
fore for cyclists only.  Importance of cycling cannot
be discounted with cities being larger.  Cycles like
motor cars are used for movement. Nobody asks a
motorist the question on the distance then why for
the cyclist? He may like to use for many other journeys
such as shopping or taking the child to school,
Best wishes.

PriyaSalvi and Kisan Mehta