[sustran] Re: transit in Mexico city

Lake Sagaris sagaris at terra.cl
Wed Apr 3 00:10:42 JST 2002

Hi everyone

I've come in on this toward the end, because I've just got back from a
meeting in Nairobi about successful urban transportation solutions from
around the world. Bogota, Quito, Curitiba, are the logical examples from
Latin America, and I'm glad that Eric mentioned Bogota and provided such
useful links as well.

It seems to me that either / or debates are not as fruitful as integrated
solutions and Bogota is the best example I know of of that (anywhere in the
world, actually, except perhaps Amsterdam). For our countries in the
developing world, urban transport problems are compounded by an enormous
number of trips as families cross the city several times daily as children
commute to schools in "better" neighbourhoods, and the fact that cars (used
by a small, but powerful minority) are choking out essential routes and
infrastructure that should be dedicated to transport modes that serve the
majority. This reality, compounded by the really disgusting quality of
diesel fuels used by many vehicles, particularly buses, means that urban
transport tends to be inefficient, unpleasant, stratified by income level,
age and gender, and highly damaging to the environment, particularly in
terms of noise and air pollution, but dirt is a serious problem -- and cost
-- to the quality of life in all its aspects.

Oddly enough, we have countries the world over (as this list has
illustrated), which prefer to spend millions on highway infrastructure,
which is extremely expensive, rather than on relatively cheap, more
socially fair and more environmentally successful option. From Lloyd, in
reference to a Chilean transport "authority" arguing that a Bogota type
solution was too "expensive" for Santiago:

"Incredible how there is enough money to build $60 million per kilometer
systems, but there is nothing for $2 million per kilometer systems (that
actually serve more people)."

We need -- and have a right to, if we look at the modal distribution of
transportation in most of our cities -- to cities where more of existing
infrastructure is dedicated and adapted to the majority modes. In Santiago,
20% of trips are done by car, 20% by foot or bike, 60% by public transport,
mostly buses.

This means (and again, Bogota has done this wonderfully well) that:

1) When parking is eliminated from streets, SIDEWALKS and not roads used by
cars, should be widened;
2) More space should go to dedicated busways
3) More space should go to pedestrians and bikes.
4) Where possible this should add up to more GREENSPACE, to improve usage,
safety, quality and the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions.

Cyclists should have the use of an enormous network of bikelanes that not
only are NOT shared with cars, but are PHYSICALLY SEPARATED from them.
Otherwise, we will continue to see the disproportionate number of accidents
and fatalities involving bikes, and these will grow with bike use. Even in
Toronto, which is a relatively bike-friendly city, sharing bike lanes with
car lanes without a physical separation does not work. Typically, cars park
in the bike lanes or stop there illegally. While I congratulate the hardy
souls who risk their lives daily to bike in Latin American or other cities
where traffic is insanely careless of human life, this does not make bikes
an option for millions of school children who could find more freedom and
better health by biking rather than bussing or carring to school.

It is particularly important, and often overlooked, that these new systems
DISPLACE cars from roads. Otherwise, as we have learned over and over
again, newly created space on roads used by cars will constantly be filled
up by them (studies indicate that within four to five years, 90% of new
road space is choked up again by cars). There is no such thing as
"discouraging" car use, as so many national or municipal policies state, as
long as new infrastructure is being built for them, particularly in a
context where mass transit, bikeways and pedestrians are sadly neglected.

By the way, for anyone who would like to carry on this discussion more in
Spanish, please feel free to join innovacionurbana, our Latin America-based
list, in Spanish, that exists expressly for this purpose.

All best
Lake Sagaris
Living City - Ciudad Viva
Santiago

PD Para participar en este grupo, por favor enviar un correo-e a
Innovacionurbana-subscribe at yahoogroups.com