[sustran] [sustran] Cycling in cities

Brendan Finn bfinn at singnet.com.sg
Tue Apr 2 19:49:12 JST 2002

[sustran] Cycling in citiesTo begin, 'well done' to Francis Papon for a
concise summarisation of the discussion so far.

In my opinion, the key point is that cycling offers possibilities for a
segment of the travel demand, and that this will vary very much from city to
city. As already said, it is part of the solution, but not all of it.

Still, if American cities can get excited about transit having a 3-5% share
of the total travel movements, then if we can get 1 trip in 20 made by bike
it should be seen as a big achievement. And it won't require so much
investment at public or personal level. The cost of one kilometre of urban
motorway or underground rail would buy an awful lot of cycle facilities,
which in turn would help to free up some existing roadspace.

I agree fully that the real knowledge to release the potential of cycling as
a mode lies with those who actually cycle (or have tried and given up) than
with the transport experts. From the existing cyclists - across the
different types of user - what things make it successful for them, and what
things make it painful even if they continue? For those who have given up,
what were the barriers, and what would give them the courage to try again ?

>From my personal experience of cycling to work in Dublin in 1987-1993, a
trip of about 10 km through traffic took 20 minutes, one third of the time
by bus and less than half that by car. There were no cycle facilities then,
but using a bit of common sense you learn to avoid the dangers. (I think
slower careful cyclists were treated with zero respect by motorists, and
became very discouraged). Since I had shower and locker facilities at my
workplace, I could arrive in ahead of my car-driving colleagues (the vast
majority - ironic,  given that I worked with the city's bus company), fresh
and wide-awake. I have to admit, in mid-winter I sometimes needed have a
little talk with myself to get onto the bike. Depending on circumstances, I
would take the bike or bus, but never the car. Since then, a substantial
cycle-path network has been developed, either on footpaths or kerbside
reservaton on the road, and cyclists are allowed use the greatly expanded
buslanes. Check the website of the Dublin Transportation Office
http://www.dto.ie

When I came to Singapore two years ago I thought I could save time by
cycling to the university, about 26 km., although clearly at the limit of a
daily cycle commute. It's a flat city and seems very suitable. However,
there is very high humidity and occasional torrential downpours. So even for
medium-length trips, a person needs to wear sports gear, bring a change of
clothes and absolutely must have shower and changing facilities at both trip
ends. When it rains heavily, conditions are treacherous and horrible for
cyclists. And the Singaporean drivers are, let us politely say, not
world-renowned for their respect for cyclists. I relate these experiences,
since many of the countries where cycling should play a major role have hot
climatic conditions, often with high humidity. On paper it looks great, but
on the road it's not so nice. Being realistic, I could not use the bike for
most trips (visiting friends, shopping, library, downtown) that I make since
it would always mean a change of clothes and a shower. Fortunately, there is
a good public transport system and cheap taxis.

Should we give up on cycling ?

Certainly not, but let's be realistic about which trips by which people can
be made comfortably by bicycle. As I say, if we can get an extra one in
twenty trips by bike, it changes the face of transport in a city for very
little cost.

Let us recognise that there is a vast toolbox of cycling possibilities, and
that each city needs to figure out the best mix, and promote it.

And let us also recognise that the number of cyclists is not a percentage of
the demographics. It is the collective of individual people facing the
opportunities, encouragement, barriers and dangers in their environment, and
making their personal choice.

With best wishes to all on the Sustrans forum,

Brendan Finn.

Please note that from 1st March 2002, all Singapore phone lines become
8-digit
Please place the number "6" in front of the current 7-digit number in your
address books

Address : 28, Leonie Hill, #02-28 Leonie Towers, Singapore 239227
Mobile : +65.94332298     Tel : +65.67340260   Fax/Tel : +65.67340412
e-mail :  bfinn at singnet.com.sg        Website  :
http://www.europrojects.ie/etts