[sustran] [sustran] Cycling in cities (continued)

Francis Papon papon at inrets.fr
Tue Apr 2 19:04:06 JST 2002

Hello dear sustran list members,

Sorry for sending the first part of my message before it was
completed. I go on.

One way of assessing the lack of interest of authorities in cycling
is when they do not record non motorized traffic in statistics:

À (At) 22:40 +0530 31/03/02, kisan mehta écrivait (wrote) :
>no traffic study ever takes into account
>walking and cycling as traffic)

In fact, a comprehensive transport policy in cities should combine
measures favouring environmental friendly modes such as public
transport or bicycles, and  measures aiming at curbing car use. An
example of such policies is to be found in the Netherlands.

As much has been said in the debate about cycling, I would just add
one point: intermodality.

À (At) 4:16 +0000 1/04/02, TR Saranathan écrivait (wrote) :
>Regarding private cars 'pooling' and a combination of private cars
>and public transport will be useful

Access to public transport is a key issue for sustainable transport
in cities. But I don't think park and ride is the best way of using
scare space around stations and public money. Bicycles are a more
efficient way of increasing public transport patronage and reducing
travel times. They need less dense public transport networks which
then can be more efficient. Everybody agrees that rapid mass transit
systems (mainly rail, but I not entering in the rail vs bus debate
again) are the backbone of the transportation systems of large
cities. Bicycles can efficiently complement these systems, and then
the issue of distances raised at the beginning is solved. Many
countries such as Japan, the Netherlands, have build good bicycle
facilities at railway stations. Sometimes even towers are built to
store bicycles at main station, such as at Innsbruck hbf.

If you feel concerned with issues of cycling in cities, I give you an
anticipated information.
Velocity conference will be held in Paris on September, 23-26, 2003.
The main theme will be  "the bicycle as an indispensable tool for
reclaiming town space".
The call for papers will be issued later on this year, and I shall
keep you informed. But you can think about it from now. It would be
nice to have contributions from all over the world to exchange
experience.

Best regards,
--
ƒÕ‰ÙFrancis Papon, mailto:francis.papon at inrets.fr tel +33147407270
Ingénieur en Chef des Ponts et Chaussées, chargé de recherche à