[sustran] Re: transit in Mexico city

Sujit Patwardhan sujit at vsnl.com
Tue Apr 2 02:41:07 JST 2002

Dear Ramon,
Can you elaborate? We in Pune (population 3 million), India are trying to
make cycling more popular and safer through creation of cycle tracks,
better public transport and efforts to reduce personal vehicle population
which is growing at the rate of 90,000 vehicles annually and adding to the
present (already high) vehicle population of 1.2 million.
The present trend is to make wider and newer roads, fly overs and other
very costly infrastructure while the only public transport in the city
(buses) languishes for want of funds, priority and leadership. The buses
are owned by the Municipal Corporation and run by its Municipal Transport
and controlled by elected representatives act as though they are not
answerable to the public. Presently there are about 800 buses out of which
only about 650 are roadworthy on any given day and even some of these break
down as over 160 are more than 15 years old. For 3 million population,
experts say we need at least 1,200 buses plying on the roads, so we have
just over half that number. Inefficient service has spurred the growth of
private vehicles (about 70% are two wheelers) and pushed the cyclists off
road. Average occupancy of buses is as low as 9 persons for a bus with
capacity of 45 seats, so no wonder the transport organization is losing
money and has fares higher than auto-rickshaws seating three passengers.
We feel priority should be given to improving buses, making them efficient,
reliable and affordable (like Curitiba) so that eventually many presently
going in for personal vehicles (mostly 2 wheelers) will be tempted to try
out and stay with public transport. Cycling can be compatible with public
transport so we are pressing for cycle tracks (for safety) and opposing
flyovers (bad for cycling as well as for buses), wider roads and high tech
pies in the sky like the SkyBus.
--
Sujit Patwardhan
Pune, India