[sustran] Urban Traffic_Citizens' Perspective

Sujit Patwardhan sujit at vsnl.com
Tue Apr 2 02:18:02 JST 2002

Personal and confidential: Please do not send to others as this is still
not published

Dear Kisanbhai,
We need to mobilize citizens to oppose these anti-people projects being
steamrolled by decision makers with help from chosen "experts". I think
your messages in the Sustran fraternity were very effective and though all
of them have their own pet topics for debating (mostly related to the
experience of the first world) the key people are certainly interested in
what we are saying from this part of the globe.
In Pune things are going much better than I would have guessed a year or
two back. Though the perspective hasn't changed, the mounting evidence and
pressure from the common people is beginning to have its effect even if minute.
On 31 March the major paper Sakal (owned by Sharad Pawar) organised a cycle
rally from four or five different points in the city converging at the New
English School on Tilak Road. I joined the batch starting from the Pune
University (distance of 4.5 Km to NE School) and was surprised to see the
newly elected Mayor of Pune Dipti Chowdhary, Pratap Pawar MD Sakal, and
many other "dignitaries" who normally keep a safe distance from such
"environmentalist's  pet projects".
There was a big crowd at the NE School as groups from all other parts of
the city had also reached the grounds. Leaders made speeches of how Pune
has always spearheaded all major movements and in the fight against
pollution too it will take the lead. Following demands/statements were made
from the dais by all who spoke:
-- Cycle more for health and less pollution
-- Reduce the use of personal vehicles
--Improve public transport (though some of the leaders have an eye on the
SkyBus golden goose)
-- Open up the riverbed road (stayed by us through court action) for
cyclists ... which is an excellent idea.

Sakal is now talking about organizing such a cycle rallies on the last
Sunday of each month and also seems keen on the the concept of a CarFree
day as part of the World Environment Day Celebrations on 5th June 2002.

Too good to be true?
Sure but it did happen.

Politicians don't mean everything they say?
True but they did say these things which means our views can no longer be
ignored and at least need to be paid lip service to.

The media is also beginning to give space to our perspective on traffic.

I am enclosing a write up showing our perspective... as part of the
exhibition I'm preparing.
I would be happy if you could let me have your views comments, criticism
etc as soon as possible.

With warm regards,
--
Sujit

At 01:57 PM 4/1/02 +0530, you wrote:

>Dear Sustran Colleagues,
>
>We give hereunder a report published in the Times of India
>on           the longest elevated road-flyover- that the government
>is        constructing in Mumbai.   The govt has constructed more
>than            50 flyovers in last three years in Mumbai creating
>irreparable     damage to the residents.  That the flyovers etc would
>also             cause problems to motorists, for whom these are built at an

etc etc etc.

Sujit Patwardhan.
PARISAR,
Yamuna, ICS Colony, Ganeshkhind Road, Pune 411 007
Tel: 5537955
Email: sujit at vsnl.com
In nature there are neither Rewards nor Punishments---
there are Consequences.