[sustran] Re: transit in Mexico city

TR Saranathan tr_saranathan at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 1 13:16:25 JST 2002

Dear Sustranians,
I have been reading many views regarding "No Car Day and Cycle Lanes etc."
These concepts have to be included at the time of new Town Planning Areas.
This is possible in India since new Townships will be coming up.
Still, Public Transport will be most effective.
In some parts of the country we find people coming from their homes to the
nearst Railway Station to catch local trains to their official destinies. I
have seen this in Chennai(Madras).
Regarding private cars 'pooling' and a combination of private cars and
public transport will be useful
All these are possible only all the stake holdrs and players come together
to propose an integrated formula. So far each one is expressing their views
independently.
I wish Sustran takes it up as an exercise in collecting all the information
available and edit and send to all the other members and experts to elicit
their valued opinion.
Dr.T.R.Saranathan