[sustran] Re: More on Denver thread

Todd Litman litman at vtpi.org
Tue Oct 30 04:16:39 JST 2001

Mr. Cox's arguement reflect the assumptions that:

* Increased wealth leads to increased automobile ownership and
lower-density development.

* Increased automobile ownership and lower-density development lead to
reduced transit use and cost effectiveness.

This leads to the conclusion that North American suburbs represent the
optimal transportation/land use system that all consumers wish to attain.
There is plenty of evidence that these assumptions are true, but there are
also intreguing indications that they are neither universal or without
limits or alternatives. Rather, there is evidence that at least some
wealthy people prefer a less automobile-dependent community, particularly
if they have a high quality level of transit service. Let me give just a
few of the indications that this is true that I've run across:

* U.S. transit ridership has grown at a faster rate that automobile travel
during the last five years, despite growth in consumer wealth.

* Property values in traditional urban neighborhoods in Seattle, Portland,
San Francisco and other cities have increased dramatically, provided that
those areas have other attributes valued by residents such as safety, good
schools and prestige. This suggests that a portion of the value that
households placed on moving to the suburbs reflected social conditions, not
their physical attributes. (Decisions Data, Puget Sound Housing Preference
Study, Puget Sound Regional Council (www.psrc.org), 1994.)

* Home buyers are willing to pay a premium for housing located in New Urban
communities. (Mark Eppli and Charles C. Tu, Valuing the New Urbanism; The
Impact of New Urbanism on Prices of Single-Family Homes, Urban Land
Institute (www.uli.org), 2000.)

* Many European cities and towns have redeveloped their urban centers based
on a less automobile-dependent model, often with rail transit as a key
feature. (TRB, Making Transit Work; Insights from Western Europe, Canada
and the United States, Special Report 257, Transportation Research Board,
National Academy Press (www.trb.org), 2001.)

* Residents of communities with rail systems tend to spend significantly
less on transportation than residents of automobile-dependent communities.
This suggests that rail transit "leverages" land use changes that improve
accessiblity and provide consumer benefits. (Barbara McCann, Driven to
Spend; The Impact of Sprawl on Household Transportation Expenses, STPP
(www.transact.org), 2000.)

Property values tend to increase significantly near transit stations,
indicting consumer preferences and economies of agglomeration. (Jeffery J.
Smith, Does Mass Transit Raise Site Values Around Its Stops Enough To Pay
For Itself (Were The Value Captured)?, Geonomy Society
(www.progress.org/geonomy), 2001. Also available at the Victoria Transport
Policy Institute, http://www.vtpi.org.)

I believe that it is quite possible that as households become wealthier,
what many really want to purchase is better quality neighborhoods, more
comfortable-convenient-prestegious transit, and transportation choices such
as carsharing, and that suburban communities with universal automobile
ownership are really a second-best alternative for a significant portion of
consumers.

This all suggests that extrapolating past trends, economic analysis of cost
per line-mile or per passenger-mile, and transportation planning based on
congestion reduction impacts, are simply inadequate to evaluate transit
investments. There appear to be other significant factors, many of which
seem to justify rail transit investments. This is not to say that rail
transit is always superior to buses or highway investments, but it does
means that transportation planners must use a more comprehensive model and
do a better job of listening to consumers.

Best wishes.

-Todd

At 04:15 PM 10/28/01 -0600, you wrote:
>This debate could rage for years. After sending my original note, I was
>sorry that I had not clarified the point. My point had to do with the former
>"colonies" --- US, Canada, New Zealand and Australia, where the land use
>tends to make transit investments real losers and incapable of competing
>with highways. Elsewhere this may not be the case. Especially in the
>developing world, authorities need to understand that the only hope for
>limiting the growth of auto use as people become more affluent is to provide
>comprehensive region wide transit systems that make people NOT WANT to buy
>cars. This means providing as much public transport as possible within the
>constrained budgets availalbe, it means priority for buses, jitneys,
>rickshaws and it means it is time to stop building Metro systems that cannot
>sustainably provide an alternative to the automobile for most of the trips.
>
>Of course, I disagree with Todd. I am quite of the view that cost per
>passenger mile is an appropriate measure. I wonder if Mark Delucci realizes
>the blunder he made? Presume he will soon be clarifying his research.
>
>Meanwhile, my offer remains outstanding, though limited to the former
>colonies;
>

>DEMOGRAPHIA & THE PUBLIC PURPOSE (Wendell Cox Consultancy)
>http://www.demographia.com (Demographics & Land Use)
>http://www.publicpurpose.com (Public Policy & Transport))
>Telephone: +1.618.632.8507 - Facsimile: +1.810.821.8134
>PO Box 841 - Belleville, IL 62222 USA

Sincerely,

Todd Litman, Director
E-mail:  litman at vtpi.org