[sustran] Critical thinking on Car Free Days and their uses

eric.britton at ecoplan.org eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Mon Oct 29 20:10:17 JST 2001

We are setting up a small informal group to mull over and encourage critical
thinking as to Car Free Day strategies and next steps, world wide.

The point of departure in these discussions is a fairly high degree of
dissatisfaction with the actual on-street accomplishments of most of these
efforts thus far -- and to see if we can come up with some clues as to ways
of getting away from today's generally cheery rhetoric about the concept and
on to using the Car Free Day as a strategic instrument to achieve actual
concrete moves to more sustainable transport in cities.  A Car Free Day
without visible results of this sort is in our view a fairly trivial
exercise (unless of course it is seen and treated as a explicit step in this
more ambitious direction) .

That at least will be the starting point for these discussions.

If this exercise interests you and you think that you may be able to help us
do a better job with this challenge, please do get in touch.  All hands are
welcome.

Eric Britton

The Commons __ technology, economy, society__
Day phone: +331 4326 1323 Mobile: +336 80 96 78 79
24 hour Fax/Voicemail hotline: +331 5301 2896
IP Videoconference: Ils.austin.polycom.com The Commons
Email: ecoplan.adsl at wanadoo.fr   URL www.ecoplan.org