[sustran] New from Mumbai

kisan mehta kisansbc at vsnl.com
Tue Oct 23 10:57:32 JST 2001

Dear Iain,

I was relieved to hear from an environmental engineer
concerned about the real welfare of people in the
developing (poor) countries.  Our feelings that
people's scarce resources are being frittered away
on socially damaging programmes find a reflection in
your utterances.

The World Bank and multilateral agencies (there are
many and increasing at dangerous level) create easy
liquidity and to some extent dangerous credibility for
less urgent and often bad projects.  The WB has been
less generous at present because of the US embargo
yet about 40% of the Central Government's annual
budget is used up in amortising and servicing loans from
them while 40% of people live under the poverty line.

To meet the WB/IMF dictats our authorities are talking
of linking all metro cities through of India motor roads.
This was estimated in 1997 to cost double the annual
Central Government budget.  Possibly the East Coast
Road with which you were associated was a part of this
grand all India programme. The authorities might be
planning to turn it into an expressway requiring five
times the money you were associated in spending.

And Andhra Pradesh through the East Coast Road is
passing had about 2,000 suicide deaths of farmers who
could not meet the debt they created to implement the
dictats of the socalled Green Revolution where the
multilateral agencies, our authorities and big MNCs
advise (correct word insist on) maximum chemical
input jacking up the cost of food beyond the
affordability of people. Starvation continues.

I do not remember whether I referred earlier to the
80-90 km sector of 160 km long Mumbai-Pune Road
that the Maharashtra Government turned into
expressway spending Rs 16 billion last year. (They
term this road as Mumbai Pune Expressway). Now
the Maharashtra Finance Minister admits that the
expressway is financially unviable because it can
not meet even the annual interest charges.   Many
concerned citizens had then recoomended creating
a bullet train type facilitry for many times more
commuters to use for fast commuting between
two busy centres.

Flyovers and elevated roads are being constructed
in all cities.  Similar anachronisms have come up in
Chennai too.  You know Chief Minister Jayalalita
used the Chennai flyover to arrest the former Chief
Minister. So flyovers can be used for political vendetta
as they fail to meet the needs of the citizens.  Even
they fail to help motor cars having an average
occupancy of 1.6 persons.

Stranglehold of the western ideas backed by easy
money that flows to promote them  is working
everywhere in the poor countries.  How else can
one justify inhuman and unethical treatment to
becabs and rikshaws in Jakarta?   To placate the
likely needs of the motorcar thousands of poor
earning their honest bread and serving the poor
section of the community are harassed, humilated
and killed.  This we label as progress!

I would be happy if I can help you to make your
years in India more lively.   Best wishes