[sustran] Fw: [sustran] Sv: Research on education and development of sustainable transport

kisan mehta kisansbc at vsnl.com
Sun Oct 14 11:13:24 JST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: kisan mehta <kisansbc at vsnl.com>
To: <boghandel at vd.dk tk at thomaskrag.com>
Cc: <sustran-discuss at jca.ax.apc.org>; David Mozer <intlbike at ibike.org>
Sent: Saturday, October 13, 2001 9:40 PM
Subject:: [sustran] Sv: Research on education and development of sustainable
transport

> Dear Friends,
>
> Mr Thomas Krag drew the attention of the Sustran fraternity to a
> comprehensive document on cycling in developed countries prepared by Soren
> Underlien for the Danish Road Directorate.  We would appreciate your
sending
> a copy for our study and reference.
>
> Situation in the developing countries is different.  We are introducing
> motor car indiscrimatingly everywhere, without worrying about the
> inconvenience and the damage the motorcar can cause.    Multilateral
> agencies insist on the developing countries seeking loans to create
> infrastructure in which construction of motorable highways is at the top..
>
> Cycle was hitherto the main mode of movement for the common man.  Some
> cities like Pune, Bhavnagar, had cycle as the main mode so much so that
> practically every resident had a cycle of hisown.  This is going, gone.
> Driving motor cars on narrow not-motorable roads has made cycling risky
and
> apprear redundent.  Everybody wants to own a car if he does not already
have
> one.  All facilities are extended to own a car, but none tocycles.   Roads
> are constantly being widened by narrowing down or eliminating pavements.
> All this ishappening when a good section of the community cannot afford a
> personal car or even pay for the public transport..
>
> Cycling is not given any priority or even facility like you have in
central
> Copenhagen or in the countryside.   It is feared that cycling would vanish
> as a
> convenient mode for movement in the developing countries even if majority
of
> the citizens cannot afford a car. It will lose its place as a mode of
> personal transport becauseof increasing accident hazards..   Our
authorities want our populations to converge and concentrate in urban areas.
With an average density of 260 persons per sq km  for the country, Mumbai
> has a relative density of 27,000.  Twelve million residents huddled in
Mumbai's 434
> sq km area.   .

All banks extend easy loans now at extremely low or no interest while a
person wanting to buy a cycle will not recieive a loan of Rs1,500.  less
than 0.5% of the cost of the cheapest car.