[sustran] Re: FW: Update, Jakarta Issue [LOCOA]

Sujit Patwardhan sujit at vsnl.com
Mon Oct 1 15:20:34 JST 2001

Hello Friends,
I am always amazed by the naive faith people have in "Governments'
intentions". Though I don't know everything about the problem highlighted
by Paul (Barter) it is obvious isn't it that the Government is acting in an
inhuman manner and striking out against the poor, when their efforts should
actually be directed at improving their lot. This is a common trait with
all Governments, in developing as well as in the developed world as should
have become clear from what the US President is doing (in this case under
the excuse of stamping out terrorism). Ignoring people's protests against
expanding and destructive motorways in the UK during the seventies (?) the
government went ahead and built the roads which ultimately did not benefit
the population as a whole. I'm sure there will be tons of such cases from
countries of the third world .

Paul's (Butarbutar) suggestion "to have a balance(d) information, please
check also with government why they do all of this. I am sure they don't do
that just for fun, it must be a
reason." makes me wonder if he has ever tried to interact with any
government representative on a controversial issue.

Is it our experience that the government is ever AT ALL interested in
explaining what it is doing?  Particularly to those holding a different
viewpoint? Is it our experience that documents, project reports,
calculations, cost benefit analysis, on basis of which such action is
initiated are ever given out to ordinary citizens? Is it our experience
that the voice of the weak and the powerless even reaches the rulers and
policy makers who time and again try to justify their anti-people drives in
the name of progress, development and modernization when actually all that
these schemes succeed in doing is to line the pockets of the powerful, the
rich and those close to the rulers, at the cost of thousands who are robbed
out of their meagre livelihoods.

Of course they don't do it ONLY for the fun. There are many good reasons...
the main one is to use their power and their position for their own benefit
rather than for the benefit of the common man in the street.

Mahatma Gandhi whose birthday (2nd October ) will be celebrated with much
fanfare in my country tomorrow, characteristically had a very simple way to
judge if any policy should or should not be implemented. "Look at the
poorest and the weakest man out there, and see if HE will benefit from what
you are planning to do". Sadly we still need to heed what the old man had
said so many years back.
--
Sujit Patwardhan
Parisar.

At 09:48 AM 10/1/01 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi, Paul,
>it is good that you share this information with other people. But I think,
>to have a balance information, please check also with government why they
>do all of this. I am sure they don't do that just for fun, it must be a
>reason.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Paul Butarbutar

Sujit Patwardhan.
PARISAR,
Yamuna, ICS Colony, Ganeshkhind Road, Pune 411 007
Tel: 5537955
Email: sujit at vsnl.com