[sustran] Re: Participating in UN Regional Workshop on Inspection and Maintenance of Vehicles

Todd Litman litman at vtpi.org
Mon Nov 26 00:27:49 JST 2001

I assume that this program is intended as an emission reduction strategy.
Inspection/Maintenance (I/M) programs have been criticized because vehicles
are checked so infrequently, and some motorists adjust their engines to
satisfy the test, and afterwards adjust their engines back to a higher
polluting mode to gain performance. A new technology is available that
identifies high polluting vehicles as they drive along the roadway. The
developers claim that it is far more cost effective than I/M, particularly
if the time motorists spend on I/M tests is considered.

For information on this and other strategies see the "Emission Reduction"
chapter of the Online TDM Encyclopedia at http://www.vtip.org/tdm/tdm59.htm.

Best wishes,

-Todd Litman

At 04:59 PM 11/25/01 +0530, you wrote:
>Dear Paul and Sustran Friends
>
>My colleague Priya Salvi, Hon Project Coordinator and
>myself are participating in the UN Workshop on the
>Inspection and Maintenance Policy organised in
>Bangkok on 9-12 Dec 2001.  We shall appreciate input
>on this delicate issue from Sustran friends.
>
>We would be delighted to meet Sustran members and
>friends in Bangkok during our stay from 7-14 Dec to
>interact on common issues and to understand the plan
>on car free Silom Road which was flashed on Sustran
>a few weeks ago. We are in Bangkok 7-14 Dec.
>
>We shall appreciate your advising us on our friends in
>Bangkok and elsewhere involved in transport issues.
>Best wishes.
>
>Kisan Mehta  kisansbc at vsnl.com
>Priya Salvi  Hon Project Coordinator

Sincerely,