[sustran] Re: comments on WBCSD Mobility 21 Report

Konstantinos Tsourlakis ktsourl at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 20 22:24:13 JST 2001

  Trying to contribute to this discussion and not to offer solutions, more
as a concerned citizen than a traffic expert, I 'd like to add that in
many cases the general public has (perhaps deliberately formulated) biases
in transport issues. I have in mind e.g. that (as I have observed
discussing such issues) I rarely have found people - not experts of course
- who would realize the importance (and the meaning) of generated and
induced traffic in road building; the usual (and spontaneous) response to
the inevitable congestion problem is "build more roads". This may be the
result of the car oriented brainwashing from direct or hidden
advertisement.
  There is also the problem of representativeness of the citizens chosen
(of course there are processes to insure this, but they can be debased,
and in such a case the fault impressions may induce additional
legalisation to the chosen solutions).
  On the other hand the recourse to representatives of groups of citizens
suffers twice from this "represantativeness problem" (they represent the
groups, and the groups represent the general interests).