[sustran] Re: The next WBCSD Mobility study: "Some Cognitive Dissonance direct from Third World Cities"

kisan mehta kisansbc at vsnl.com
Fri Nov 16 11:17:25 JST 2001

Dear Walter Hook, Kisan Mehta, John Whitelegg,
Matthias Mueth, Eric, Paul  and Sustran Colleagues,

Wonderful idea from Eric.

We do not wish to make with their money support a
counter report to the Report that they have obtained.
Our offer is and should be to prepare after a deep
and wide spread study of the world market and the
demand of the common man a perspective report
that will delineate the propsects as well as the
limitations of motorised vehicle and that too
personal motorised vehicles say in next ten years.

Automobile industry overall has become an engine
of growth that has brought prosperity to the
industrialised countries. It is necessary to
appreciate the limitations as well considering
equity and environment in next 10 to 20 years.

When we are dreaming of turning the world of 6
teeming billions in a global village, we have got to
see that every citizen of the global village has
equitable access to the natural resources of the
earth. We should see to the Auto Industry(in all
diverse aspects) as a part of the global village.

This study (that we propose) will be a study of a
major industry as an essential part of the global
village. It would give enough base for industries
directly related and others not directly related an
insight into what is possible and what is not. It
would be an objective perception in light of
people's aspirations and affordability.

Walter, Paul, we should attempt to offer and
convince the auto industry leaders that it is in
their interest to have an independent study. I
do not wish to wedger however feel that such
an gigantic undertaking treating the world as a
global village may require more than a million
as we wish to see every area ourselves and
not rely on earlier works.  We as well as the
sponsors would find that there is hardly anything
done in this direction earlier. So the Sustran
work will be unique putting an important industry
of the developed countries into the correct
perspective.   We are game for such a task.
Best wishes.

Kisan Mehta   kisansbc at vsnl.com
PriyaSalvi priya_salvi at yahoo.com