[sustran] comments on WBCSD Mobility 21 Report

mobility mobility at igc.org
Wed Nov 14 04:32:33 JST 2001

Dear Sustran members, etc.

We will send some collective comments to the World Business Council for
Sustainable Development reacting to their Mobility 2001 report.  Please
send your comments to us by Friday, November 16 and we will circulate a
draft letter and ask anyone who wants to to co-sign.

Evidently, only $1.5 or so million was spent on the study and some
workshops, not the $10 million that I mentioned earlier.  This means
that there is still some $8 million in funds that the WBCSD may be
spending on sustainable transport related activities.

For this reason it might be worth considering, as well as critiquing
their report, some suggestions as to how best they could spend this
money.  Arguably, wasting the entirety of the money on more research
might not be the worst thing, given the source of the funding, (big oil
and big auto) and possible alternative uses of that money.  However, I
am persuaded by more moderate voices that there is a possibility we
could persuade them to use this money in a truly constructive way.

Please get any thoughts sent to us by this friday and we'll incorporate
them in a draft letter to send to the WBCSD.

thanks, best
walter hook