[sustran] Re: More on Portland and metros

Wendell Cox wcox at publicpurpose.com
Mon Nov 12 01:10:25 JST 2001

Eric:

Fortunately, the fuel cell vehicle is available. Point, though is very
simple. If we take your point and mine... Your point that metros may be the
only way in some places (agreed, I have overstated your point) and my point
that you need a close knit parallel system of high frequency buses to
provide comprehensive mobility and add to it the limitations you suggest
below we have the following...

Metros that cannot do the job
A busway system that cannot be implemented

If that is the case, then similar to what Anthony Downs said, better get
ready for the auto, because the people who are getting more affluent will
not be content with a transport system that does not take them where they
want when they want in a competitive time. I know these things are difficult
politically, but there is no difficulty at all from the perspective of
someone who can afford a car --- they exit the public transport system
except where it does the job. Too bad, but true. That means, for all the
anti-car pro-transit talk among developing world cities, they had better be
prepared to do what is necessary, and that is a comprehensive system.

But alas, as I have grown older, I have regretfully learned that politics
and transport is often more about positioning and posturing than attempting
to solve real problems (not pointing the finger at you, me or anyone else on
this list).

Best regards,
Wendell Cox

DEMOGRAPHIA & THE PUBLIC PURPOSE (Wendell Cox Consultancy)
http://www.demographia.com (Demographics & Land Use)
http://www.publicpurpose.com (Public Policy & Transport))
Telephone: +1.618.632.8507 - Facsimile: +1.810.821.8134
PO Box 841 - Belleville, IL 62222 USA