[sustran] Re: More on Portland and metros

Alan Patrick Howes APHOWES at dm.gov.ae
Sun Nov 11 12:41:21 JST 2001

Metros can be intrusive too, depending on whether they are elevated or in
subway - and if the latter, construction can be horrendously disruptive. And
there are various options for clean buses, including hybrid battery/diesel
or flywheel/diesel.

Each scheme really needs to be judged on its merits - the problem is that
too people (including too many professionals) have a bias of some sort. My
bias, if it is one, is that I fear that bus-based solutions, which are so
much more flexible and scalable, are too easily dismissed by some.

--
Alan P Howes, Special Transport Advisor,
     Dubai Municipality Public Transport Department
aphowes at dm.gov.ae
Tel:    +971 4 286 1616 ext 214